Crazy English summer (in Greece)

People hate me when it rains. They look outside the window and then at my blissful expression and you can tell they are so upset that they want to hit me. Especially when it’s June and rain ruins the open-air gig they were planning to go to, or their weekend excursion to a coastal place or island. But I think that what they mostly hate about rain is that it makes their mood plunge into depression.
I love rain, I always did. It’s one of the main reasons I am happy when I travel in the UK. It’s one of the main reasons I think I would be happier if I lived there. But this has always been a very tricky issue.
Everytime I am ready to pack always something awful happens and I am stuck here. When nothing awful happens, I’m just not ready to pack. I try to convince myself that I am a big girl now and that I should make all my serious decisions, at last. But that’s not fair, is it ?
While I am indecisive I usually question people about what I should do. Friends were totally negative at first: You are not going anywhere. You and UK, that’s an illusion, you think you belong there but you don’t. After some years this has changed, now they say: since you are still thinking about it perhaps you should try it (so simple, as if we are talking about a dress or a new haircut).
Talking about haircuts, I just found out my dream hairdresser. Someone who can understand the difference between a trim and a haircut, someone who can tame unruly hair, someone who can feel how your ego can be traumatised when you loose a big amount of curls (given the fact that you hair grows with the speed of a turtle). S. is a hairdresser on fire, busy scissors etc, a rare find worth every single euro, in the centre of Athens. I am worried about the day when everybody will discover about him and then he won’t have an empty page in his diary to squeeze me into.
I was not surprised when I found out that until recently he worked in a fancy salon in London. During a "trimming-session", I threw him my poll question: should I move to London? He wasn’t puzzled or surprised (I guess he has met people more insane than myself), he just looked at me through the mirror and said: of course you should. There is only one problem and that’s the reason that brought me back to Athens: rainy weather. :-)


4 Comments:
kalimera
exeis dikio gia to fagito sto treno
an to treno ksekina giro stis 11 apo tin afetiria dinoun mesimeriano apo ta delivery ton goody's (o theos kserei apo pote ta exoun)
:)
I love the rain... Here she comes again...
I'm only happy when it rains, pour some misery down on me...
Happy, happy when it rains...
I love rain as well. Then again, we love it cause we miss it. Who know what we would make out of it if it were just anopther part of our daily routine. We love rain becuase it suits our favourite songs. We love the rain because it scares away the summer - and we don't like summer, do we? No, we don't - but we don't, because maybe our lives are not shiny. Because we wouldn't feel comfortable if we were surrounded by a bunch of people in total bliss, like thos guys at the Nescafe Frappe tv commercial...
So, instead of moving out... how about both of us trying to be happier - and not pray for the indians to do the rain dance...?
:-)
Hmmm... Interesting thoughts and most of all interesting suggestion. My question is, have you got any idea about how we are going to do this ? Because, honestly, I am trying for some time now and I am tired of trying anymore.
Any tips are welcome!
x
P.S.1: Besides the rain there are 1000 more reasons why I want to move out but that's probably the story or another post.
P.S.2: Thanks for being the most "devoted" reader of my blog. :-)
I am working on your suggestions...
:-)
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home