Madrugada live in Athens (28/05/2005)

I love Sivert Hoyem’s voice. I use some of his songs as lullabies to get myself to sleep. Madrugada is a group of nightingales. I use most of their songs to Sail Away. When listening to their cds in the morning you are definitely missing most of the feeling. Their music is taking other colours and dimensions during the night, or better in the early hours.
The Deep End is stuck on my cd player these days, or rather these nights. I always hoped they would collaborate with Angelo Badalamenti one day and was trilled to find out that he did the strings in Hold On To You.
I was really looking forward to this gig. I am not their biggest fan but they have surely written some of the songs of my life and I have enjoyed all their albums so far. They managed to surpass all my expectations. I can’t really describe their performance... when I try I just end up with a list of adjectives: majestic, unique, intoxicating, fantastic...
It’s impossible to record the whole gamut of feelings. There are only a few random thoughts I can put into words:
I am happy that they sing in english. Not that I have anything against norwich but I wouldn’t bear to miss these lyrics.
They are one of the living examples that nothern countries might be cold but nothern people can really melt your heart.
Sivert’s handshakes with the front-row fans were so touching that brought to mind images of Morrissey at the very same stage a few years ago.
The band was happily surprised by the pure adoration of the audience. It was too hard for them to leave the stage even after two encores and you could see in their smiling faces that if they weren’t exhausted they would be playing forever.
They played everything, all the songs that made us smile and mostly, all the songs that made us cry. They even had a guest violinist on stage. A Pogues cover was the ultimate surprise: “A Rainy Day In Soho”. Well done! MacGowan would have loved it.
When the gig was over I felt my heart was full. I was happy to walk away into the cool, cloudy night, I was happy to go home, I was happy to surrender to sleep.
They will come back soon, that’s for sure, we will be waiting ...
P.S.: 2:00 a.m. outside Gagarin 205, young enthusiastic male to his companion: ‘That’s it mate, I made up my mind. I am shaving my head tomorrow!’


3 Comments:
kalimera apo do
de prolabaino na diabaso tora to blog sou (trexo gia douleia) ma mono pou eida mandrugada katalaba pos opos eipes kai si exoume mallon polla koina
:)
de me petixes se kaki stigmi (gia to teleutaio mou post), isa isa-oi stigmes pou leme 'ftanei' gia merika pragmata einai oi mones stigmes pou exoume katharo mualo
(alitheia pos bazeis fotos sto blog?
s euxaristo gia to xrono pou mou afieroses)
doraki tis meras:o,ti goustareis apo James
Urghhhhhhh. And I could come there with you but decided not to.... Funny thing is... I was going to see... Village People [hahaha] but in the end I watched Deep Throat - then, I left the cinema just twenty minutes into the movie so..... I suppose If i were @ Gagarin I'd have fun as well but... I guess one cannot have it all. Either way, I am happy you had a good time. I adore Badalamenti's arrangement as well. Too bad the band cannot make any breakthrough whatsoever in the US or UK...
Nikita, welcome to my blog!
Tha sou stilo mail me odigies gia na vazis photos sto blog sou. Se adallagma, boro na valo merikes apo tis super photos sou sto blog mou ?
Doraki tis meras efprosdekto! ;-)
Hector, I would unsterstand Village People but I can't believe you lost this gig for 20 minutes of "Deep Throat"!!! I'm speechless... I also can't believe that my ex met the whole band at the centre of Athens eating patsa !!! 3 o'clock in the morning and he didn't bother to call me.
The good news is they are coming back soon!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home