Seasick, yet still docked
(photo taken by http://nikitas.deviantart.com)
In a few hours I’m turning 35. My mum says it's the best of all ages, my friends say I look better than ever and people who meet me for the first time think that I am 10 years younger. So what? Who gives a damn about wrinkles and face creams? I don't. I have other issues.
Why is it that I feel like shit ? For all the things I’ve done or those I haven't yet? Because I am running out of time, patience, interest, friends and money? Because it never rains on my birthday? A huge question mark hanging in my head like a hologram.
Until my 29th birthday I thought that the “30 something crisis” people keep moaning about, is a silly thing, something that I would never experience. Now I know it's fucking serious and I keep wondering when does it end? When will I feel normal again?
This year please let's not repeat once more that my birthday coincides with the twin towers disaster anniversary, it’s not funny, you know, it only feeds my depression. I will try to focus on positive silly facts like that Moby was born the same date as myself (and some other millions of people) and we have exactly the same age. A mini review... I am grateful for my luggage so far: family, friends, boyfriends, pets, lots of amazing travels, some people I met, some great books I read, some amazing films and paintings I have seen.
Unfortunately these thoughts always lead to the same dead end. This may sound completely pathetic but I feel that all these people and things that come and go, for a while or forever, are only small details of the painting. I think we are all alone from the beginning until the end, no matter how many people, pets and material things we have around us. This is quiet heavy to bear but that's how it is really. Then I try to think of something that is there forever before and after us, something huge and powerful. And then I feel lucky because I think about the music and how it has made this life worth living more than anything else. My friend M. once told me that music is the only thing that’s worth. I found this statement rather exaggerated and I thought to myself “that’s ok, he’s is an artist and a musician so that’s normal for him”. But the more I think about it now, the more I feel he is right.
There is a track for every single moment and you know what? You don't always need the technology. Sometimes I feel like a living mp3 player. There is always a soundtrack playing in my head. It changes depending on my mood, my flashbacks, the weather, all sorts of inner and outer stimulations. My own very personal portable music library that no-one else can hear.



15 Comments:
35 isn't that bad. Trust me. Been there, and it's just as fun as 34
A walking mp3 player?
I feel the same sometimes...
Για την επιλογή του τίτλου, τα λόγια είναι περιττά...(such a little thing, but the difference it makes...;-)
Cheer up :)
(αν και μου έδωσες ένα preview για το πως πιθανόν θα νιώθω και γω στα δικά μου γενέθλια, που ευτυχώς αργούν)
Χρόνια Πολλά, ευτυχισμένα και πάνω απ'όλα δημιουργικά!!!όμορφο το πόστ σου.
...κι ελπίζω να μην φάω βρίσιμο για τις μές την τρελλή χαρά ευχές μου. Every age(and likewise every single thing) is what you make of it. Να περάσεις καλά και να σκέφτεσαι ότι τέτοιες μικρές ή μεγάλες κρίσεις είναι μερικές φορές το κίνητρο που χρειαζόμαστε για ν'αρχίσουμε να κάνουμε πραγματικότητα όνειρα και φιλοδοξίες που κάθε μέρα παίρνουν αναβολή για την επομένη.
Don't forget to make a wish!
P.S. ''And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It is the life in your years''.
(It does make sense doesn't it?)
Χρόνια σου πολλά και ΚΑΛΑ!
Επέτρεψέ μου να συμπληρώσω στο ποστ σου μία φράση, σαν ευχή για τα γενέθλιά σου:
" I am grateful for my luggage so far: family, friends, boyfriends, pets, lots of amazing travels, some people I met, some great books I read, some amazing films and paintings I have seen"
προσθέτω
", I smile and move on! There is so much more to feel"
Κάθε χρόνος που περνά μας δίνει λίγο από αυτό που είμαστε! Ελπίζω να υποδεχτείς χαρούμενα την καινούρια χρονιά!
(ΥΓ να τα θυμηθώ αυτά στα δικά μου γενέθλια!)
χρονια πολλά και καλά
:)
θεώρησε την ηλικία των 35 σαν εποχή ενδοσκόπησης. Είσαι σε περίοδο απολογισμού σε ότι έχεις επιτύχει και γίνει μέσω των εμπειριών αυτών. Αλλοι το λένε mid-life crisis, για μένα είναι το ξύπνημα. Οτι ήταν να πετύχουμε σαν γυναίκες, μέχρι τα 35 κάναμε σε όλους τα χατήρια, απ ' όλα έχουμε, άντρες, οικογένεια, ζώα, παιδιά, σπίτια, δουλειά...τώρα όμως όταν λές "I think we are all alone from the beginning until the end, no matter how many people, pets and material things we have around us." πάμε για τον επόμενο κύκλο...να κάνουμε και να είμαστε αυτό που θέλουμε εμείς. Εξ'ου και η κατήφεια που σε πλημμυρίζει..ξέρεις τι ζητάς αλλά δεν ξέρεις απο πού να ξεκινήσεις...
Have a pleasant birthday, by the way..
Stay young at heart. Take good care of yourself, nobody can do it better. And most of all, smile girl, you can illuminate everything with your smile. ;-)
Happy Birthday
χρόνια καλυτερότερα... το κρασί όσο παλιώνει παίρνει και αξία μην το ξεχνάς... ;)
Το πιο όμορφο δώρο! Ευχαριστώ για τις ευχές, τις όμορφες λέξεις και τις αγαπησιάρικες συμβουλές. Με συγκινήσατε πολύ ρε γαμώτο! Να είστε καλά. Φιλιά σε όλους.
xxx
Fuck! I didn’t know. You didn’t say a word… Why? And we were together @ the Korn gig!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anyhoo, happy birthday, even with a huge delay… I will re-wish you all the best face to face pretty soon…
I agree with the mp3 player in your mind concept. Feel the same way too.
However, I am afraid it’s not only the music that counts at the end of the day. “Music Sounds Better With You”, remember? So, all I wish, is that you soon find the one with whom music, your music, will sound even better! People, special people make this life worth living… They’re just a few. That’s why they’re special
Hector, you know, that's me, an awfully shy person... It's ok, good wishes (belated or not) are always welcome!
Regarding music and special people in our lives, I agree with you, it's just that people come and go while music is always there for us. I guess I was too pessimistic when I wrote this.
Thanx! :-)
Yeah, u were pessimistic and I am kinda worried that your are prone to the half-empty point of view.
I wouldn't go as far as to say people come and go. Maybe we push them away ourselves, or maybe they're just testing us or even worse, they are doing us a favour because we cannot let them go althought that's the only thing we actually need.
And obviously all I am talking about is utter crap, hahaha...
Read that Cloud Atlas book I lent you? It's got a nihlistic/realistic/optimistic view on personal legacy that pretty much sums up the futility, yet absolute importance, of our place in the universe. Still, it's only a book. And while life may inspire fiction, it will never achieve the same closure as a novel. I dunno, too many words can make people depressed. And I hate pretention. And I hate sounding like I've got something worthwhile to say. Because I haven't. And I have. It just depends on the timing.
Hey, what's up? So good to have your comment here! Well, I haven't started reading Cloud Atlas yet but I will soon. I will let you know.
I hate pretention as well but I must confess that people cannot handle sincerity most of the times (this has cost me the loss of many friends).
Sometimes we don't need too many words, sometimes silence is precious. But your comments are always welcome here. Cheers!
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home