Saturday, October 08, 2005

Written On The Body

Thanks to Frida I opened this book again today while I was drinking my morning coffee. It’s been such a long time since I first read it. I just wanted to remember how it felt like and before I knew it I started reading it again. Bearing in my mind my current state, I know this is bad timing but I simply can’ t keep my hands away from a book that in the first page reads:
“You said, ‘I love you’. Why is that the most aboriginal thing we can say to one another is still the thing we long to hear? ‘I love you’ is always a quotation. You did not say it first and neither did I, yet when you say it and when I say it, we speak like savages who have found three words and worship them. I did worship them but now I am alone on a rock hewn out of my own body. .................................................................................
Love demands expression. It will not stay still, stay silent, be good, be modest, be seen and not heard, no. It will break out in tongues of praise, the high note that smashes the glass and spills the liquid. It is no conservationist love. It is a big game hunter and you are the game.”

3 Comments:

Blogger Dusty said...

From "The World and Other Places" by Jeanette Winterson

"It has been difficult this last year. Love is difficult. Love gets harder which is not the same as to say that it gets harder to love. You are not hard to love. You are hard to love well. Your standards are high, you won't settle for the quick way out, which is why you made for the door. If I am honest I will admit that I have always wanted to avoid love. Yes give me romance, give me sex, give me fights, give me all the parts of love but not the simple single word which is so complex and demands the best of me this hour this minute this forever."

This is dedicated to all the closet romantics everywhere.

10:10 PM  
Blogger Dimitra said...

Φοβερή η Winterson ως συγγραφέας - να μην ήταν και τόσο σπαστική και δογματικο-ψευτο-αναρχική στην πραγματική ζωή και θα ήταν όλά τόσο καλύτερα... (I hate it when that happens)

6:14 PM  
Blogger Rainman said...

Frida, thank you! For writing these favourite words in my blog, for reminding me how much I loved this woman's literature and making me return to her (such a familiar place to be).

de(e)lumina, sorry αλλά δεν με νοιάζει η ζωή της, όπως δεν με νοιάζουν οι ζωές των περισσότερων αγαπημένων καλλιτεχνών. Μου έχει πει τόσα πολλά ως συγγραφέας που θα την αγαπώ για πάντα και αυτό μου φτάνει.

1:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home