Tuesday, October 04, 2005

A Rainman Alone

Carpe Diem painting by Iris Van Dongen
Homemade compilations are a very personal kind of thing. We usually make them for beloved people, friends, lovers, family. Sometimes we use them to impress, flirt or educate. Other times we keep them for someone special. But most of the times we use them to communicate or share our love for music.
I was given my first tape compilation by my uncle and mentor at the age of 12 and although I was too young to appreciate the importance of bands like Gang of Four, I feel more than grateful for his tapes at this age. I didn’t have much luck with boyfriends so far. They were either too busy to write tapes/cds or had completely different music tastes than myself. Nevertheless, it would be a shame to forget that weird tape that introduced me to “Tinseltown in the rain”, an all time favourite song, that I will always carry with me for years and years. Fortunately I have been luckier with friends. Because all of them are so deeply into music and usually music works like a secret code among us.
Recently I was given this compilation by my friend S. It’s homemade and (if he hasn’t cheated) it’s unique. I know other friends will be jealous if they read this, but S. is my favourite compiler. Because he is always perceptive of the music I like and at the same time he knows a thousand more bands than I do. So there is always a smaller or bigger surprise waiting for me. He is the reason I discovered Jack, The Divine Comedy and The Dears (the only disappointment so far was Τhe Prayer Boat but I forgive you :-) ). He is also the only person whose opinion I trust when I am about to spend money on cds. For the first time my compilation had a title. “A Rainman Alone”. Kind of sad. I didn’t take it personally, I know it’s a paraphrase of track 2, Frank Sinatra’s “A Man Alone”. But still it’s a very sad title indeed. To be honest, I looked at the strange track listing, then focused on the title and thought: be prepared to cry your eyes out, honey! But things are never predictable with S. and his compilation is no exception. A Rainman Alone is a small treasure spinning round in my discman, he has done many trips until now (the longest one got him as far as London) and he will definitely be my companion for this autumn.
Intrigued about the tracklisting? Well... An H.P.Lovecraft Creature trapped in an Elf Power track and some computer strings (Hard-Fi) scratching some old scars. Electric guitars playing with my head (Cathrenine Wheel) and some smoother ones playing with my heart (BLOC Party, Creeper Lagoon). Drums and drum machines giving the rhythm as I walk in the centre of Athens (Hard Fi, Brian Eno, Brendan Benson). Cartoon vocals (Hairy Diamond, Arnold) and velvet male voices confessing their secrets at late hours (Frankie, Blackeyed Suzans, Pleasure Forever, Tom Baxter). Sea waves kissing my ears goodnight before I go to sleep (AM60). A piano parked in my stomach (Pleasure Forever) and some very emotional lyrics exploding while I am traveling in the underground: I stared at the light too long and I did everything to keep from falling when all is said and done do you think it was worth it? Patterns move across the floor and it just doesn't feel the same I'm sorry when all is said and done I think it was worth it. One day, we will put it all behind, We'll say, that was just another time, We'll say, that was just another day on Earth. If you fuck up, I'll come around. Oh.. you used to be... so much fun, It looks like this love's flipped you blind, deaf and dumb, you're dumb! You act like a dog on a string, she calls and you come shuffling in....You're under the thumb. I still hear your voice at night when I turn out the light and try to settle down but there's nothing much I can do because I can't live without you any way at all. I keep a close watch on this heart of mine. Surprisingly my title song is the saddest song of all and although I know that S. is not going to agree I find these words too pessimistic: Easy to be a man alone, don’t talk to strangers someone might be kind and muddle up your mind. I am afraid I will have to disagree with Frankie for once. A Rainman alone is not an easy thing to be ...
It is difficult to pick just one song from this cd and I am curious to find out my compiler’s most fave tracks. But if I had to choose one I think I would be struggling among the three: cover version of John Cale’s “I Keep A Close Watch” by Black Eyed Suzans, Devics’ “In Your Room” and “Opalescence” by Pleasure Forever.
Moral of this post: Don’t be bored, go ahead and create a compilation for your friend. You’ll have some fun (hopefully) and you’ll make someone really, really happy!

9 Comments:

Blogger Hector Drone said...

If that were the most extended thank you post in history, all I can say is... YOU ARE MORE THAN WELCOME. Even if I didn't know you appreciate music the way you do, anyone who considers a single home made compilation to be something so special deserves my attention - let alone one cd every week...
:-)
P.S. Bloc Party & Blackeyed Susans [they're the band the Triffids' singer formed after the demise of our favorite Aussie group...] would be my choices

6:14 PM  
Blogger Rainman said...

vague tourist, we listen to the same stuff, don't you know it by now? :-)

hector,wow, one cd every week? I am not sure I can handle so much excitement! Just make sure you keep your promise. I am in a very fragile state these days and I shouldn't be let down for any reason. Cheers!

6:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

a)I am jealous
b)This painting is fucking amazing

7:22 PM  
Blogger schottkey said...

Nice choice.
Maybe a Rain Tree Crow track could fit in there perfectly :)

9:41 AM  
Blogger Μαρκησία του Ο. said...

Αρχισα να γράφω compilations για φίλους το καλοκαίρι και ομολογώ ότι είχαν μεγάλο σουξέ! Βέβαια ο Hector σίγουρα με τρώει λάχανο...
;-)

and yes, this has to be the longest thank you post ever! :)

10:00 AM  
Blogger Dusty said...

Wow! You are lucky. It sounds like a great CD. Good choices.

4:26 PM  
Blogger πολυβιος said...

πήρα το τελευταίο των saint ettiene πριν από΄λίγο. πολύ αγγλικό, θα σου αρέσει.

8:01 PM  
Blogger Dusty said...

I'm half way through Written on the Body....

Don't spoil the ending for me but... Does she die?

10:29 AM  
Blogger Rainman said...

Dr Strangelove, don't be jealous honey, I'll make a compilation especially for you :-)

Schottkey, good idea, thanks!

Μαρκησία, μου χρωστάς κάτι cd του Jeff αλλά καθυστέρησε τα λίγο γιατί θα με πάρει απο κάτω (και πιο κάτω δεν πάει). Θα σε ειδοποιήσω ;-)

Πολύβιε, oι Saint Etienne είναι στη λίστα με τις επόμενες αγορές εδώ και καιρό αλλά τα λεφτά δεν είναι ποτέ αρκετά.

Frida, Written On The Body is MY FAVOURITE book, I won't reveal anything, I would just love to talk about it with you once you've read it because you are the only person I know who loves Jeanette Winterson. :-)

11:04 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home